Saturday, October 6, 2012

One Moment in Time

When my parents were killed, we were all walking together and my father was in the middle of  a sentence. And then the  car hit and my parents are gone forever. One second I was thinking to myself what a wonderful time I am having with my parents and how lucky I am to  have such amazing parents, the next second I am lying on  the ground, unable to move, severely injured and both my parents are dead.

The strongest lesson that I have learned over the last few weeks is that at any moment life can be completely changed and turned upside down and that any moment life can be over. My parents had everything going for them. My dad was at the top of his career. Both my parents were leaders of their community and they just been picked as honorees at their synagogue's annual dinner. They fulfilled some of their greatest dreams by traveling all over the world. And above everything else, my patents loved being grandparents and would travel to Israel to see their grandchildren as often as possible. They were so happy and then in one moment it was over




As for myself, I was a healthy 27 year old, stressing over my thesis and work. One moment later, I needed 3 surgeries, I can't use my left limbs for 6 weeks and I have months of physical therapy ahead of me. I also realize that I could have easily been killed had i been standing slightly different or moved and inch one way or the other.

I have so much I still want to accomplish and do with my life. I want to finish school. I want to go live in Vietnam. I want to travel. I want to spend more time with the people that mean the most to me. And perhaps my greatest desire, I want to find love. I know that might seem very "Disney" to some and maybe even immature, but it really is the one attainable goal that I want more than any other. I want someone to share my life with. Since life can be just hanging by a thread at any given moment, I really do not want to waste any moment.

I want to live my life like my parents lived theirs. They never missed an opportunity to fulfill a dream or achieve a goal. Whatever they did in life, they did it as grandly as they could. And more important than anything else, whatever they did, they did it together.

7 comments:

  1. You'll find true love and happiness, and soon I think.

    We both hope to get married. You will be the best man at my wedding. Unless, of course, you'd rather be my maid of honor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will gladly be either at your wedding for you :)

      Delete
  2. I've been reading your blog for a while now, and ever since you posted about your accident, I've been struggling to find the words to write you a comment to comfort you, to let you know that life is still worth living. But I'm not good with words, and weeks later, here I am, back at your blog, still trying to find right words to say...I guess, whatever I've been meaning to tell you, you've already know it--Stay strong, my friend, and never give up the hope for love!

    A random asian guy in NYC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say that I am touched for 2 reasons. First the fact that you care means a lot. I'm also touched that you follow my blog and read all I have to share. Thank you so much.
      Please keep reading and I hope you will comment again in the future.

      Delete
  3. When you least expect it and often after tragedy and despair, like a clam, our hearts open to reveal the true pearl that has been there all along. Maybe cliche, but I truly believe that love is around the corner for you, but until then make life the adventure you have dreamed about.

    Your very proud Uncle Michael

    ReplyDelete